Vivid Memories #12

Originally posted February 23, 2017

It’s been a while since I wrote one of these. I guess my memory might be fading as I get older.

As a giant nerd, one thing I’ve noticed about nerd culture is that nerds really like to repeat things they’ve seen in media - TV, movies, comics, etc. - a lot. I find this a bit distasteful, but again, as a giant nerd, I didn’t always feel this way.

I remember when I was a kid, TV shows would sometimes have characters (usually important business people, or at least people who thought they were important) answer the phone, not with “Hello?” or any kind of standard polite greeting, but simply by saying “Go!” I’m not sure why, but I liked that idea.

The next time the phone rang at our house, I answered it. It was my sister. I picked up the phone and said “Go!”

Then she made fun of me. Mercilessly. It felt really bad.

That might have been the precise moment where I started to dislike repeating things I’ve seen in media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

status update about Pizza Hut

Vivid Memories #2